Monday, August 25, 2008

...like I do today


There are days when I am prepared to miss home and days when I’m not. Most of the time I am excited to hear what friends and family are doing…or eating. If anything I live a little vicariously through them.

There are times however when I’m not prepared and that “missing home” feeling will hit me like a ton of bricks. Usually it is something small and I just get over it. Like the time a friend mentioned on line that he was going to a bakery for lunch. My initial response was “cruel cruel friend…if you only knew how much I miss pastaries and baked goods in general…why would you tell me such a thing.” Now I know my friend meant no ill will but there was a moment when I was full of envy and a little bit of longing for a cupcake.

Today I was not prepared and the longing for home that was triggered when a friend posted pictures from the summer. At first it was nice to reminisce but then I noticed more pictures…pictures showing that life was going on without me. I know, it sounds like I want my friends to be devastated that I am not there…well I don’t. Its just I don’t think that they feel the devastating longing to be with those who know you best…like I do today. I knew what I was getting myself into when I signed up to move back over seas again…I just conveniently forgot this feeling.

So what does one do when they are homesick in Nepal?...eat Mexican food! “I’ll have a large beef nacho and a diet coke…and yes, I’m eating alone.”

Sure, it’s not smore by the campfire with friends but it will do for now.

9 comments:

Andrea said...

um, beef nacho in Nepal??? You've failed to mention this new place!

jesserae said...

The Lazy Gringo...the best and only mexican food place in town

Beckie B said...

I'm so sad that you are feeling homesick today. But, I'm glad that you found some good comfort food. Jalapenos and everything!

Unknown said...

Fun pics!

We *do* miss you! =) I didn't know that you could find Mexican food in Nepal. Amazing!

Mom or Dad said...

Umm... I guess we should not tell you about going to a wedding where the food was home made mexican.... The wedding was good... but the food was GREAT!!! Love you girl, just know that we are thinking of you even when we are out and about..
Dad.

Mom or Dad said...

Oh Jess, you break this mothers heart. Dad filled your shoe box with, m&ms, snickers and the likes, but it might take awhile to get there...enjoy

Mom or Dad said...

Hey, from what I have been seeing in the news about Nepal.... you have plenty of opportunity for having friends around bond fires..... even if the bond fires are from other people protesting.... you may even gain some new friends in the process.
love you and thinking of you.
Dad

Anonymous said...

As much as I tried/joked about hiring you as my personal assistant...you are needed in Nepal more. Hang in there kid...and enjoy the beef? (Kaha the beef...haha)

Unknown said...

I haven't had Maya's since you've been gone. One day I'll break down, get the nachos by myself, and raise a glass of cherry cola in your honor.(savages don't have Dr. Pepper. What's up with that?)Long live the Beef NACHO! I teared up. Miss you so much friend!