Wednesday, August 6, 2008

familiar

Being back in Nepal is often a mixture of foreign and familiar. The foreign part is frustrating. The language is foreign, the streets are foreign, and the lack of feeling at home is foreign.

There are however moments of sweet familiarity. I might actually understand what is being said to me or share friendly greetings with the storeowner on the corner. And every once in a while I happen upon a place that I use to frequent back during my first trip to Nepal.

The other day I was in a part of town called Thomel. As I was walking by shops my memory took a hold of me and led me down a street that I recognized. I then took a right at the “bong” store and kept walking. Before I knew it I was standing at BK fries.
My old roomie Andrea and I use to frequent this place all the time. It truly has the best fries in Nepal and possibly on this side of the world.






When you have that foreign feeling…like you don’t belong there is nothing like a hot plate of freshly cooked fries to make you feel at home…to make you feel familiar.



2 comments:

Beckie B said...

I don't know how they taste, but those are definitely the best looking fries I've seen on that side of the world.

Andrea said...

YUM!!!!

Fried goodness.....