
I am from the North West but seem to constantly find myself around those from the south. Either I am just visiting the south or working with Southerners. Currently I am in Virginia and seemed to be immersed in the South and all that entails.
When I am in these situations I constantly find myself feeling different or that I am breaking some sort of cultural rule that I did not know about. I have always had a difficult time expressing the differences between the north and south until just recently.
What has enlightened me to these differences was a book called “Foreign to Familiar” by Sarah Lanier. In this book she describes the differences between “hot” (the south) and “cold” (the north) cultures. Not only does she giver her perspective on the United States but for the world as well.
If you are someone from the North having to move to the south, work with southerners or are moving to a part of the world that is warm I highly recommend this book. The same recommendation goes for those who are from the south and having to embark on the northern states or parts of Europe.
2 comments:
you're on a roll!
Yeah, I'm reading old posts on my lunch break...silly, I know.
This book was actually given to me by Sarah Lanier. I really liked it. In fact, I liked it so much I gave it to a friend who was interested in missions. She never gave it back but I guess that's okay. I like to think the book has been passed around the country from friend to friend as it's needed. Like a chain letter - without the bad luck.
Post a Comment