Sunday, May 23, 2010

the beginning


I want to blog about my cruise but find it difficult to even know where to start. You might say “well Jess, the beginning sounds like a good idea” and you would be right.
    throwing coins into the Treve Fountain
The problem is this; after returning from my trip I had about 48hrs to rest, re-pack, and then I was off to the Himalayas to do medical camps in a few small villages. I am now back in the city resting up, washing clothes and catching up on e-mails…and Europe feels like a dream.
My other problem is that I have to blog about this now. Today, summer students arrive and in four days I have to take a few girls up into the mountains again. I could go on about my crazy summer schedule but that is not the point of this blog.

So, from the beginning…at least what I can remember.

Rome. I love it. You should visit.
There were so many things about Rome that intrigued me. I will attempt to share a few.
First and foremost the architecture and history of this city is the richest I have ever seen in my life. It was like walking through a textbook. Every street you turn down is picturesque. A tourist struggles between looking up at the amazing buildings and looking down at their travel book to figure out what exactly they are looking at.

The people are so affectionate. While waiting for my cousin in the airport a viewed more than one very, shall we say, “passionate” hello.
 touching something very old
Italian women dress nice all the time. When out in Rome it is easy to distinguish between an Italian woman and any other woman based primarily on her shoes. i.e. Italian women wear high hills.  Yes, even their tenni shoes have heals.
 the fountain at St. Peters...yes, that where the Pope lives
My absolute top favorite things about Rome were
History
Language
And food…I’m pretty sure that I could live forever on a diet of pizza and gelato.
 Spanish Steps
If you ever plan on going (which you totally should) know that Europe in general is expensive. My suggestion is to look for a small bed and breakfast or family friendly hostels.
Don’t be afraid to use local transportation.
Eat where the locals eat not where the tourist eats. 

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Yay! Let the trip blogs begin! You look so much like your sister in the picture where you are "touching something really old"

You crack me up!