Friday, May 28, 2010

Athens


After saying goodbye to Italy we were off to Athens Greece.

Athens was a crazy day. If you keep up with world news you would know that they are in the middle of political unrest. The day our shipped docked was the day of a transportation strike from 9-5. The morning we got off the ship we walked to the train station just in time to catch the last train into Athens.

I think what surprised me the most was just how big Athens is. When you see pictures of the Acropolis you don’t see the sprawling city with millions of people surrounding it.
When we arrived at the Acropolis there were thousands of other tourist there as well but I did manage a few good pictures nonetheless.
My favorite area was Mars Hill. There is even a plaque that explains how Paul preached from that very hill.
Mars Hill
view of Athens from the Hill
Standing from that hill the Acropolis is so big and intimidating. I love the image of Paul boldly preaching the gospel “You worship a god that you don’t know and this is the God that I am telling you about! The God who made the whole world and everything in it….he does not live in temples built by human hands.”  Visiting Athens has added a whole new dimension as I read through the book of Acts and Romans.

Some other favorites from Athens were….
The soldiers touching feet











Gyros




And running into old friends.

That’s right in the middle of my journey I saw some old friends that work for the same company I do. We went through training together two years ago and I had no idea that they were in Athens. Needless to say, it was sweet surprise to see familiar faces.

I know that there is a lot more that I could tell you about concerning Athens. If you want to know more maybe we could chat about it over some baklava.

No comments: