Friday, April 2, 2010

Happy Birthday Mom!


Today, April 2nd, is my Mom’s birthday. She is the big “double nickel”.
Mom might hate that I posted her age, that is if you can figure out what double nickel means, but I don’t think she should mind.

When Mom came to visit me in Nepal everyone ewed and awed over how young she looks. Seriously…they were all very impressed, as am I. If you have ever met a Fredrickson woman you would understand this phenomenon but let me just say that my Mom, Grandma, and Aunts all look great…I can only hope to have inherited this gene.

My Mom’s hobby is people. She does not invest her time in scrap booking or anything that involves yeast rising but rather she spends her free time with people. Family is priority and my nephews, her grandsons, are currently reaping the benefits.

Some of things I adore about my Mom are…
Her laugh…especially when she is really tickled and can’t stop laughing
She writes me every week to tell me how she and the rest of the family are
Her willingness to step out of comfort and follow Christ’s leading
Her intuition and ability to read people. (don’t lie to my Mom she will see right through you)
The way she grounds me. When I was a kid she “grounded” me ALL  the time. These days it is an emotional grounding. When my emotions are high and my thoughts are muddled I know Mom will be a voice of reason.

How blessed am I for Elizabeth Gail Van Wyk to be my mother!

I love you Mom. Happy Birthday!

2 comments:

Jamie said...

It sounds like you are blessed with an awesome mom - I love everything you said! I know I certainly aspire to be that kind of person and mom. Thank you Elizabeth Van Wyk for being Jess' mom and such a great one!

Christina Moore said...

I never thought about it that way, her hobby is people...but I completely agree. Gail, you are an amazing woman, and I am blessed to know you.