Tuesday, July 14, 2009

One Year

The past couple of months have been crazy to say the least. I have either been without a computer or far away from home thus preventing me from updating this blog of mine.

The problem with being away for so long is now I have all these things that I want to write about but am not sure where to start. Should I start with today and work my way backwards? Yes, I think it would be best if I just started with today...

Today marks my being in Nepal for one year. I've known for some time now that time flys by. This is especially true in the states. You see, Americans jam pack their lives so full of stuff that they don't have enough time in the day to complete everything. South Asians on the other hand view time completely different. They are all about stopping in the middle of their busy work day to drink tea and shoot the breeze. So what, if there is a line of people waiting for them. A tea break is a tea break.

So although in hindsight this year has gone by quickly, I've got to admit that there were days and weeks when time seemed to slow down and an hour felt like an eternity. If you have ever lived in a third world country for any amount of time you know what I am talking about.

You may be wondering how I am going to celebrating this one year of living in Nepal.
First on my list is to get the car tire repaired. I punctured it on a rock coming home from the store yesterday.
Second to do on my list is to walk my scooter to the mechanic because it will not start.
Also on my list is try to figure out what happened to my Word and Excel programs for the did not seem to make it with new hard drive. I would not mind too much except for the fact that I can not do my financial reports without the Excel program.

Today is truly a Nepal day...i.e.. nothing will come easy, sweat will be poured, and there will be some confusion. I guess there is no better way to celebrate being in Nepal then to have a "Nepal Day". Maybe if I'm lucky I will get stuck in a traffic jam, run into a protest, fall in a hole, and the power will go out.

Stick with me readers for I promises the next couple of blogs will be much more positive. I just had to get that off my shoulders before I could move on.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

Even though it does feel like this year has flown by from my perspective, I used to hate it when people would say...."it feels like you just left!"

So I won't say that... :)

BUT, I will say that I am so proud of you and all of your hard work this year. You have morphed into this trekking queen and I'm so impressed! It has been so fun to see you THRIVE in Nepal, not just survive...although we know there were days that felt like that.

I'm so honored that you allow me to share in this journey with you as your friend.

Love you!

Jamie said...

Girl, I love you too! I love hearing what you are doing when you do get to give blog updates. And I love learning about Nepal and the cultural differences and obstacles you face. I think you are awesome!

Christina Moore said...

Jess, you are amazing. I am in awe of you and what you are doing. You are so strong. We think of you often, and love to hear about all your adventures.

We love you and miss you always!!!

gary & kimber said...

Happy one year anniversary! And the medical camp sounds like it was a definite success!