Saturday, June 20, 2009

Medical Camp in June

Yesterday I returned from a week long trip to an area of Nepal called Helambu. I took a team of 10 Americans from South Carolina to put on a medical camp. The medical camp was great...hard but great. Here are a few facts about the camp


* In four full days we treated 1,111 people
* Four people had bugs pulled out of their ears (insert shiver)
* Every morning I would wake up with mysterious bites on my arms and legs
* One toilet for 1,000 + people emits an oder that one cannot begin to describe
* I have seen enough fungal rashes to last me a life time
* People from the village+hot weather+standing in line= flies flies and more flies
* I still believe ridding on top of the bus is the best way to travel
* although at times my faith is small God constantly shows up in BIG ways


On a different note....

some of you know that I have been having visa problems. You will be happy to know that I am just a few days from obtaining my visa. Tomorrow (Sunday is a work day here) I will drop off one document needed to complete my visa process and then barring any strikes I will pick up my visa on Monday.
The visa will arrive just in time for me to board a plane to Thailand on Wednesday. I will be in Thailand for two weeks for training.

I will be getting my computer back soon and hopefully will be able to keep up with e-mails, skype, and blogging. (thank you Ang Holy and friends for helping me with lil Mac)

Happy June and I will talk to you again in July.
(thanks Stacey for the pics)

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Thanks for the update. I'll be glad when you get your computer back. :) I miss hearing about you! :)

Mom or Dad said...

I can hear a collective sigh from all of the people… all of them that that have been keeping you close to their hearts. I hope you can eventually give more details as to your trip into the mountains and will be able to share them with us. Now…. Get some rest and prepare to get busy…. Love you, on a Sunday morning, drinking coffee, your mom and Shawn still sleeping… Buster too.
Dad

Beckie B said...

Those last two pictures are fabulous! It sounds like you had an amazing experience!

I'm so happy to hear about the visa, yay!