Wednesday, October 15, 2008

meet my friend


It was turning out to be a bad day. It was another rainy day; I had errands to run, forcing me to drive in the rain. By 5:30pm my errands were finished but I was cold and wet. I decided to go to my favorite restaurant for some Tibetan soup called tentuk. As I indulged in my warm hearty soup the owner, a friend of mine, came up to me and asked if I would help her friend. She explained to me that her friend was getting ready to go to Korea for more beauty school training and that she was nervous about her English and wanted someone to practice with.

Now, you should know that for days I have been walking around the streets of my neighborhood praying for a friend…wondering how I could connect with single girls my age.

I told the restaurant owner that I would be happy to help and the next thing I know we are walking down the street to the salon to meet my new friend. After drinking some tea at the salon we came up with a plan. I would meet Dolma at 8am at her salon. We would talk for and hour and a half and then go get lunch. Yes that’s right lunch at 9:30am. During lunch we would speak Nepali, thus helping me out. (The Restaurant owner, Me & Dolma)

Although I have not been a fan of getting up early and eating lunch early I have enjoyed our conversations. During our language practice I have found a lot about Nepali and Sherpa culture. I have also had the chance to share a little about my life and the things that are important to me.

I am so thankful that God dropped this friend in my lap. Due to my visa I have to leave the country for a few weeks. The bad news is that when I come back into Nepal Dolma will have left for Korea where she plans to be for six months.

I plan on continuing to visit Dolma’s beauty parlor while she is gone in hope to form friendships with the employees. I will miss my morning chats with Dolma but I am thankful for the few weeks we had. We have already set plans for dinner when she returns to Nepal in April.


               "Marinoz" beauty salon

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's so awesome - God is good!

Andrea said...

I'm so thrilled for you Jess! That salon looks nice and I'm sure those ladies will love getting to know you!

Happy "End of Term" Anniverary...it was 4 years ago today that we left Nepal!

Oh how I wish I could just pick up the phone and simply call you with no time difference or shady connection!