Monday, February 27, 2012

For the third time...



I’m back in Nepal.

I tried to write a “goodbye America” post…well I did write one and even posted it but after a few hours I re-read it and decided to delete it. When I wrote it I was way too emotional. Note to self, don’t cry and blog at the same time. Nothing good can come of it.
Needless to say, leaving America was not easy. This was the third time in my life where I had to pack up my things and say my goodbyes knowing it would be a while before I returned.
The first time I did this, I was right out of college and had no idea what I was getting into. It was as if I was floating on a cloud of naivety.


The second time I had been in America for three years. It was just long enough to dull the memories of what its like to leave and what it’s like to live in a 3rd world country. I was tired of the American 9-5 and was running toward the other side of the world.

The third time….ugh.
I basically had a six-month American vacation. My time was full of family, friends, great food, and convenience. You may be thinking “convenience?” What does she mean? Well, in it’s simplest form it is water, electricity, gas, and heat. In it’s more complex forms (if convenience can be complex) it is being able to put in special orders at a restaurant, paying with a debit card, drive through  restaurants, shopping on line, fountain drinks, traffic laws and so much more. America the brave and home of convenience.

My last full day in America happened to be Super Bowl Sunday. While others were eating party food and watching the game with friends I was spending my last moments with my Grandparents, Sister and her family, and my Parents. It was a day full of my favorite foods and hard goodbyes. It was also an evening of trying to figure out where I could stash some Oreos and chocolate chips.



At 3:45 the next morning Dad and I got in the car and slipped through the fog to get to the airport. Dad was strong and kept it together. I was focused on the “next step”
Check in luggage
Pay for extra luggage
Say goodbye to Dad
Get through security
Watch the sun rise at the Seattle airport
Get one last Starbucks fix
Board my flight
Find the right terminal in LA
Call Mom one last time
Send one last text
Leave America…3 days later…Nepal. 



1 comment:

kym pennington said...

Jess, Thanks so much for this blog. It was candid and very you. I was truly blessed with the time I had with you. I am so thankful you are there are doing amazing work! Love you!