My Birthday.
As I get older and further away from home I have learned something about my birthday…if you want it to be a good day then you have to plan it yourself.
A few weeks before the “big day” I was feeling a little unfriendly towards the quickly approaching 33. Let’s be honest, being single and turning 33 made me feel a little bit like Marisa Tomei in My Cousin Vinney when she yells, “my biological clock is ticking”
However, after reading a bible study on God’s promises and faith I realized that this whole “future” “biological clock” thing was in His Hands. I decided to find joy in Him and get over this pity party.
I e-mailed my friend Kristin and asked if she would be my birthday buddy on June 8th. Her husband graciously agreed to take care of their twins and the day was ours.
We started out the day with donuts. Now friends, you should know that until just recently there was no place in this entire country to purchase an American style donut. Kristin however, stumbled upon a newly open café who makes chocolate covered goodness.
these are the real deal!!
Next on the birthday list was a 2-hour massage. Oh bliss!
They start out the massage first by washing and massaging your feet. The first hour is dedicated to your back and the second hour is all the other misc. parts. The best part is that not only is it an amazing massage but it only cost 15$.
Our massages built up our appetites so we were off to my favorite French restaurant. My previous roomie (Andrea) made going to this place a birthday tradition so it felt right to go there.
Andrea and I on my 27th birthday
Kristin and I decided to forgo the restaurant’s dessert and head strait to Baskin Robins for some ice cream. Crazily enough Baskin Robbins was the first chain store to come to Nepal.
We decided to go to a movie but had some time to kill so we headed over to the largest store in town to peruse and pick up a few diet cokes. Along the way Kristin and I found some offensive “African art” and some amazing coffee mugs, which are now my birthday gift from the Parker family.
the Nepali store closely resembles the 1$ store
yep, it's a naked man and it's my birthday present
Finally it was time to watch the movie Shrek in 3D
The funniest thing about watching an American movie with Nepalese is that we laugh at totally different things. When Kristin and I were belly laughing the rest of the theater was silent…this only made us laugh more.
After the movie we swung by Pizza Hut to pick up some dinner for us and the rest of the Parkers. After Pizza Kristin made me some “happy cake” (cup cakes) and they sang a move ya to tears rendition of Happy Birthday.
please tae note of the awesome birthday candle
Gracie getting in on the happy cake action
I should also note that at the Parker's house was a package from my Parents and Sister full of goodies from the good ol USofA
All in all it was a pretty fantastic day. As I think through the day I feel as though I need to revise my earlier sentiments. Yes, as you get older one has to often take charge and plan your own birthday but more importantly one has to invite others to celebrate with them.
Thanks to facebook I have 332 “friends” that know it’s my birthday. It is however up to me to connect with those near me and say “I want you to share this day with me.”
I had most of the day planned but it was all Kristin’s idea to purchase me awesome coffee mugs, to make me cupcakes, and for their family to sing happy birthday. Those few things were just as sweet of a memory as my massage and donuts.
God has lavished his love upon me and is constantly showing His love through my friends. So Happy Birthday to me!

3 comments:
This sounds like a day Andrea would have loved to share with you! So happy you had someone to celebrate your life with you!
Well written. I really miss my "favorite" daughter on her special day. What is so cool is that your mom and I know all of those places you went to and the people that shared this great day with you. Happy Birthday to you again.
Love you.
Dad
I had a wonderful day with you too! Thanks for letting me be your birthday buddy! It was so much fun...I felt like a kid again hanging out all day, seeing movies, getting massages, eating good food and finding RANDOM gifts! I am so thankful to have you here in Kathmandu with me! Happy Birthday!
Post a Comment