Friday, December 4, 2009

Thanksgiving 2009

I have always been a fan of the holiday season. I love the way Thanksgiving kicks off the season's festivities and brings anticipation for things to come. Thanksgiving is uniquily American. Those poor pilgrims back in the day took time to recognize that God had truly provided for them. God allowed them to survive and eventually prosper in a place that was far from "home."


With that in mind how fitting that I should celebrate Thanksgiving with American friends here in this foreing land far from home. Although I love spending the holidays with my family I truly believe that I have been given the unique opportunity to celebrate the "important days"over seas.

You see, we try our very hardest to make the holidays special. We search high and low for the one turkey in town and I won't even flinch when asked to pay a ridiculous amount for things such as turkey, ham,or cheese...but we do it because we want the day to be special.

Thanksgiving Eve was celebrated by going to the grand opening of Pizza Hut. How better to celebrate being a blessed American than with an American style pepperoni pizza. When my friends and I arrived at the new Pizza Hut (first major chain to come to Nepal) we were giddy. Seriously, you could not slap the smiles off our faces if you had tired. Money was not an issue, all that we cared about was the pizza. We ordered appatizers, sodas, and pizzas as if it was our last meal. Needless to say we went home stuffed and happy.





Thanksgiving day was orginaly supposed to be hosted at my neighbors apartment. Thanks to a case of typhoid fever my poor neighbors were in no condition to host. So, with a few last minute phone calls and e-mails it was decided that I would host Thanksgiving mostly impart to my apartment's big yard not my culinary skills.


My friend Kristin came early to help me set up and before I new it about 30 American friends decended on my house. There was food galore and an all around good time was had. We had some singing, football, and just good fun.


Everyone was just plain happy. Happy to be with friends, happy to eat good food, and happy to acknowledge how God has provided for us in this foreign land.

Have I said yet that it was a great Thanksgiving?

3 comments:

Michelle said...

So how'd your pumpkin dish turn out? I'm dying to know!

Parker Family said...

What a great post! So sweet! I posted a link to it on blog...hope you don't mind. Have a great day. Just a few more days until America! I am so excited for you.
Kristin

Andrea said...

You hosted Thanksgiving! I'm SO impressed! Looks like it was a fun day indeed.

I am completely amazed that Pizza Hut is in KTM now. I need to see it with my own eyes to believe it!