
One of my favorite things about living in Nepal is the way that people here know you or at least know your name. For example when I walk into my favorite restaraunt the employees all say “Namaste Jesika” (ok, so they have some problems with the pronunciation of my name)
When I lived in Nepal four years ago my roommate and I started a habit of going to the beauty salon every other Thursday. Due to our regular appointments the ladies at the salon got to know us very well and I would say that we even became friends.
Since returning to Nepal I had yet to visit the salon. My delay was for various reasons but mainly it being that I was afraid that they would not remember me.
Once I finally worked up the courage to make an appointment I arrived to the warmest welcome. It was hugs all around and questions about family and well-being. Needless to say it was a sweet reunion…that is until they found out that I had been in Nepal five months before visiting them.

I love that the ladies who work at the store know me, that the Internet guy starts putting in my account info as I approach the door, and that the girls at the salon recognize my voice and poor Nepali accent on the phone.
I believe that when God made us he made us to crave relationship and put within us a craving to be known. Of course that craving to be known can only truly be filled by God. I also believe that God can be shown by us getting to know those around us. So next time your at the local store or favorite restaurant make a point to know the employees name. Introduce yourself and see that in time you may get to know each other.

saying goodbye to Sumitra and her family when I left Nepal 4yrs ago
4 comments:
well, I'm crying in Kentucky just looking at the faces of our sweet friends. Jess, I can't say enough about how I'm so glad you are there to continue these relationships.
I remember the night we took that picture. We were getting ready to leave for the airport and my emotions were ALL over the place. In fact, I was a little irritated that Sumitra insisted on inviting not only herself, but her entire family over to say goodbye to us. Here's what my journal says from 10-14-04...
"As I held Sumitra as she wept in my arms, I had a painful reminder of the whole reason I came to this foreign land. My heart really experienced a new kind of hurt. The kind of pain that is caused by saying goodbye to an unbelieving friend, knowing she didn't accept Christ, and second guessing myself....did I do enough?"
Thank you for picking those relationships right back up. I'm praying for their salvation!
Andrea, you should know that after we got our hugs and hellos out of the way the kept asking me "when is Andrea coming?"
My response was "soon." ....
I kind of always thought that being in a foreign country was the closest I would ever come to being a rock star. Because everywhere I went someone wanted to talk to me or take my picture. It's a weird feeling.
Jess, this is a beautiful post. Yes, we all want to be known!
Post a Comment