Sunday, January 18, 2009

going a little crazy

Update on the power…or lack of power that is.









(me and my roomie)
We are still technically at 8 hours of power a day. The 2 four hour blocks of time we have been promised can happen at the most inconvienient times of the day such as 12am to 4am and we do not always get the four full hours. Usually the power will go out for at least 30 minutes in those 4 hours.

It turns out that I am having a harder time with the lack of power than I thought. You don’t realize how much you use electricity until you DON’T have it. It’s the little things that bother you like not being able to make toast in the morning or the fact that it seems like my phone battery always dies when the power is out.

When the power does come on my roommate and I have a couple of things that we do
• throw in a load of laundry
• fill up bottles with purified water
• charge computer, phone, iPod, etc
• check and respond to e-mails

At times I think the situation as a whole makes us feel a little crazy. I did not realize the extent of the craziness until my friend Andrea pointed it out a day later.
Here is a facebook conversation that took place recently. Note that Amanda is my roommate and we were sitting across from each other when this all took place.

Amanda can't believe Jessica is playing old school Amy Grant...stop!!

Amanda Breault at 5:04am January 16
Oh El-shaddia....can we please listen to Sandy Patti next!!

Jessica Van Wyk at 5:04am January 16
now I'm really starting to question your salvation...how can you hate on old school Amy...better yet how can we still be friends

Amanda Breault at 5:06am January 16
this will be a hard couple of months....unless I pull out your favorite...Brian Dunken!!!

Jessica Van Wyk at 5:09am January 16
in the words of Amy "I have decided I'm gonna live like a believer, turn my back on the deceiver, I'm gonna live what I believe."

Amanda Breault at 5:13am January 16

Jenn Hand...we are in need of a counselor!!

Jennifer Hand at 5:18am January 16
you are.. i'm coming over quick.. but remember.. i am in that one thing.. hey that's probably the name of an old school amy grant song ..

Jennifer Hand at 5:20am January 16
yall do remember these are "contemporary christian " artists.. we talked about last night what kind of sin that can lead to

Leah Weldon at 5:32am January 16
What! Christian "Rock"!?! You guys might as well just be listening to Snoop Dog.

Jessica Van Wyk at 6:04am January 16
Snoop who? Is he a new Christian contemporary artist

Amanda Breault at 6:09am January 16
I think we heard him one time on our youth group bus..

Leah Weldon at 6:12am January 16
Oh Jessica, where you homeschooled? (hee hee) Amanda, sadly I did hear him on our youth group bus sometimes.

Andrea Burnett at 7:03am January 16
wow....this power outage is really starting to make you gals go crazy!
(Leah, Jenn, and myself)

3 comments:

Andrea said...

If it makes you feel any better...over the break, when the building was empty and I was SO bored, I found myself whistling my little heart out. The song? Kanye West's "Love Lockdown." It wasn't until I walked passed a mirror and saw myself, that I realized what I was doing.

We all do weird things when we are pushed to the limit!

Christina Moore said...

Oh my goodness! That was too funny. I thought that only happened on silly sitcoms.

Jenn said...

so proud that this highly intellectual conversation made your blog! :-)