Thursday, September 11, 2008

Tij

Recently Nepal celebrated the holiday called Tij. This holiday is for women only. It is a day when all women get the day off…no school, no work, no cooking. Most women on this day dress in red and head down to the temple to offer up prayers. Thanks to the festivities I was stuck in traffic and took a few pictures to show you a few of the women in their red saris.


Four years ago when I was living in Nepal my roommate and I were invited to go and hang out with a few women on this holiday. Although we did not go down to a temple we did get all dolled up. Our Nepali friend did our make up and made sure our saris were tucked and folded in all the right places. One particular friend did not like the fact that my hair was short and that she could not put it in some sort of fancy up do.
The picture that I post below is a result of our friend attempt to make me more Nepali.

Out of all of the holidays that we have in the states why don't we have one for women? Sure, there is mothers day but what about the rest of us. Although there are days when Nepal seems like it is far from advanced I have to admit that they have one up on the US when it comes to having a holiday for women.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

oh my word...this picture is still as funny as the day we took it!