Friday, May 10, 2013

Adjusting to America



Sometimes I feel like a stranger in my own country. I may look and sound like an American but most of the time, I have no idea what’s going on. Not only has my world view been drastically altered but I’ve failed to keep up with what’s been happening in the good ol US of A.

I find myself asking “Really? Is this a thing?”
A few things that continue to elude me ….


Kim Kardashian… Kim who? Why do people care about Kim K? ...and why is the media is talking about her pregnancy weight? Shouldn’t we all be super concerned over the father of her child? Did the media miss the memo that said“Kanye is a big D bag and may very well be creating the spawn of Satan”. I mean, if we are gonna talk, then let's priorities the crazy talk. 



Big eye glasses….been there, did that in the third grade, and made a vow to NEVER do that again.


Gluten Free…was there some sort of epidemic that caused a large majority of Americans to be allergic to gluten while I was gone?
I’m pretty convinced that if the zombie apocalypse happens gluten free will have played a role in it…and that hipsters will be the first ones to go.
…don’t even get me started on my hipster zombie conspiracy theory. …




Pinterest, Instagram, Tweets, texting rather than talking and hashtags…Five years ago, never once did a friend call me up to talk about the delicious meal they were in the process of having. Now, my friends can find a recipe on Pinterest, cook something, take a picture of what the finished project looks like, tweet a clever quip regarding their food with the #amazefood.
I kind of miss the days when I did not know so much about my friends lives. 

Every day there is something that usually throws me off. I try to play it cool but usually fail. Should you see me freak out in public or just look lost feel free to pat me on the shoulder and give me a "knowing look". You know the kind of look that says "bless your heart your going through culture shock". 

2 comments:

Andrea said...

This may be my favorite post of yours EVER. Please continue to hash out this transition for us all to read! I can't wait to hear what else stands out.

Jackie said...

I've been livin' in the good 'ol U S of A for my entire life and I still don't understand any of the things you mentioned.