
To be perfectly honest with you there is NOTHING glamorous about going to the village. In fact when my supervisor mentions that I will need to go, there is a little bit of me that groans inside. I think about the “bed” or wooden boards I will have to sleep on. I remember the lack of water and showering and the heaps of rice I will have to eat. Most of all I agonize over the actual travel (bus rides and walking uphill are my two least favorite things).
There are three ways to get to the village of Bhandar.
- 12 hour bus ride
- 12 hour private jeep ride
- 20 min flight and 2 days of walking

Thankfully the volunteers I was in charge of could afford a private jeep. So early Thursday morning my teammate, three volunteers, and I started out on our journey. The first 8 hours of travel were on “paved” roads that afforded us amazing views of the Himalayas. The last 4 hours however were on a dirt road cut through the mountains. Needless to say it was twisty, dusty, and bumpy.
This sort of all day journey takes a toll on you. Once we arrived in Bhandar we ate a large plate of rice and lentils and then headed off to bed.


The following days were spent with fellow believers who had come from all over to receive training on how to share their faith and start house fellowships in their home village. Meeting these believers instantly reminded me why the 12 hours of travel is worth it. Their faith is big. For example a 7-month pregnant woman walked 8 hours from her village and an older couple walked 4 hours in the sun to come.
Their spirit exudes a kindness that I can only describe as Christ like and the hospitality that they show humbles me.
Every day after training everyone would come together to eat, sing, and fellowship. We would take turns singing in English and Nepali. There were times when we would sing the same song but in our own heart languages…giving me a small glimpse of the rejoicing that goes on in heaven.
Before we knew it, it was time to pack up and head back to the city.

Rather than taking a private jeep through the mountains our only option was to take the bus. That’s right just when you think only a private 4 wheel drive vehicle can go through the mountain, Nepalese pile into a bus and go….it’s insane. The bus was packed and the ride was rough to say the least. The motion of the sharp curves and bumps nauseated the majority of passengers and there seemed to be a person throwing up no matter where you looked.
So what makes me go to the village? Obviously it’s not “me” that is the motivating factor. Plain and simple, it’s God. He called me to this place, to this life, and to these people. So I go.
…although I still hate riding the Nepali bus.
1 comment:
this is probably my favorite of your blogs. hands down. i hope (pray) for the opportunity to go to those mountains again!
Post a Comment