Saturday, December 18, 2010

Thanksgiving 2010



 I’m not sure how I ended up volunteering to host Thanksgiving…but I’m pretty sure my friend Kristin played a role in it. Before I knew it I had sent out an e-mail to all of my friends in Kathamandu inviting them over to my house.

A week before Thanksgiving I had confirmation of 18 people coming. Just days before the big event the guest list shot up to 30 people. I have to admit that I was pretty nervous about having enough food. A friend and I even sent up a “loaves and fish” prayer i.e., at the end of the meal everyone would be full and there would still be a ton of food left over.
God answered this prayer.

As friends started coming so did the food. By the time it was time to eat my kitchen counters were full of food! It was amazing.  It was a great day of good food and great friends.

For the first time in my life I cooked a whole chicken and a ham. My friend Becca took on the turkey and stuffing. Everyone else…well everyone else brought a ton of delectable goodness.

Living overseas constantly teaches me how to be grateful in a way that I never understood living in the states. I am grateful for things such as electricity, hot water, and an indoor toilet. I am grateful for skype , long distance phone calls, and care packages.
I am grateful for my family and the fact that they support my working here in Nepal.

Most of all I am grateful for the salvation I have through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ.  For I serve the one true God who loves me and has a plan for my life.  That plan thus far has included some pretty amazing adventures and pretty amazing friends along the way.

As we are currently in the midst of this holiday season how fitting is it that we should kick it off with being Thankful. 

1 comment:

Andrea said...

So impressed by your hostessing skills....and those food signs and banner really wowed me! Way to go Jess!