A large portion of my job involves working with short-term volunteers. This year has been full of working with a variety of volunteers from all over the US. I’ve enjoyed the time I’ve been able to spend with them and have been encouraged by them. With every team I learn something new and try to improve on my leadership skills so that I can better help the next volunteers that come. Here are a few things that I have now added to the orientation that I give.
**Some of these things may seem obvious but trust me when I tell you that for some people the obvious eludes them.***
- When trekking through the Himalayas you will be walking at high altitudes AND you will be walking up hills…a lot.
- Don’t bring your Social Security card to a foreign country.
- Don’t give Hindus your beef sticks. It’s nice that you want to share but for the millionth time “HINDUS DON’T EAT BEEF!”
- Nepal's restaurants specialize in Nepali food not American food…lower your expectations.
- Blood in your stool is a big deal. Medical professionals should be contacted.
- When I say pack light I’m talking 15 or 20 pounds NOT 60lb…there is a big difference between need and want.
- Don’t pet wild animals. Yes, wild horses will bite you.
- New life rule, if it’s not yours don’t pet it.
To all the volunteers that came to Nepal to serve this year THANK YOU! It was a joy working along side you. You will be remembered…even if it is in telling an embarrassing story to the next set of volunteers.
May the Lord Bless you for your faithfulness!
1 comment:
Uphill FO SHO! Expectations are almost permanently lowered. Yea, a horse will probs bit, nick.
You are amazing.
that is all.
Post a Comment