Monday, February 8, 2010

fish spa


While in America I received an e-mail from my supervisor. Basically it said before you go back to Nepal you need to go to training in Thailand for a week….I know, hard life right!

While in Thailand I was actually pretty busy from 8-5. After training it was our goal to take advantage of the fact that we were in beautiful Thailand. This meant eating at great restaurants, going to big malls, night safaris, and spas.

Over the past couple of years fish spas have become more and more popular with the tourist. My friend Tammy decided that it was something that she wanted to try. I very rarely will pass up the chance to try something new so thus began the great fish spa debacle of 2010.

We should have known it was not the best idea when just talking about it made us squeamish. With that said once we decide to do something we were pretty determined to follow through on our commitment to try this new experience.

One night we walked around the Chaing Mai night market and found a place that looked clean and was in fact just a few months old.
When we walked in we washed our feet and then headed over to the tanks to put our feet in.
There were two very difficult parts to this fish spa process
  1. the act of actually putting our feet in
  2. the act of keeping our feet inside the tank
Once, we finally got our feet in we squealed like little girls…and every time we thought about the fish sucking on our feet we would squeal again.

In all our feet were in the tanks for 30 minutes. I promise you this was one of the longest 30 minutes of my life. At the end my feet were surprisingly/freakishly smooth.

On the positive side of this story I am glad that Tammy talked me into trying something new and squealing always brings about a stronger bond between friends.


The negative side of the story was that it was just plane weird and my upper leg muscles hurt the next day because they were so tense for the 30 minutes.

To all those that are thinking about trying the fish spa I would say “try it.” If anything it will give you something to blogg about. 

1 comment:

Beckie B said...

This might be my worst nightmare. The only thing I could imagine that would be worse would be a spa where birds walked on your back or picked your hair clean. Well done, Jess, well done!

P.S. I'm happy to see that you're rockin' the VanWyk shirt!