The first thing that hit me and penetrated my memory was the smell. In my mind I thought “yes, this is what it smelled like and nothing in the states ever rivaled it” I was not so much bad as it was distinct.
As one walks out of the gate it looks chaotic with Nepalies pushed up against the security gate waiting for their loved ones to walk out. Thankfully I could imediatly spot my friends face for he was about a foot taller and white.
As we speed along in the over priced cab it seemed so dark reminding me that there are no street lights.
I was also reminded that there are traffic jams, which I could not for the life of me make out why there is a jam and piles of garbage at the end of the street
Thanks to rainy season the streets are pure mud. This mud is thick and nasty.
After the taxi from the airport dropped me off he managed to become stuck. My new friends and I headed down to the taxi and spent 20 minutes rocking, pushing and finally lifting it out of the mud. I must say it was a great way to initate me back into Nepal.
3 comments:
I'm so impressed that you are already blogging! This is a good sign of things to come!
Ahh, yes, the smell. Poland didn't have one, unless you count the smell on public transportation at about 5 or 6 pm...yuck. Anyways, I'm glad to hear you made it safely to your new home! I checked out pictures of Zillah on Jackie's page...fun times! Wish I could've come!
It's Holly. Thank you for the lovely postcard and the wonderful note! It was our pleasure to be included at the Thrillah!
Glad you got to Nepal all right! What adventures already! I'm looking forward to reading more. You're on my RSS feed...no pressure. =)
I'm not on Facebook because it freaks me out. You should be able to get ahold of me somehow, since I logged using my Gmail account.
Laters!
Post a Comment